TuneIn

Friday, October 8, 2010

Mommy, Can I Still Call Him Daddy (MP3)



Dottie West - Mommy, Can I Still Call Him Daddy (2:53)

Dottie West's Mommy, Can I Still Call Him Daddy features what has to be one of the most absurdly off-key child vocal performances ever committed to tape.

West recorded the song along with her 4 year old son Dale, who belted out some overwrought lines of toddler angst from the perspective of a kid glumly looking at the wreckage of his parents' marriage.

The flip side of the record (and the name of the album on which these tracks can be found) is Suffer Time. Incredibly, this song was a charting hit, making it all the way to #24 on Billboard's Country chart in 1966. How the hell did that happen? Must've been the fact that the great Buddy Emmons is on steel!

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I found the child's voice soothing in a non-soothing kind of way.

Rik Tod Johnson said...

Wow, that is just so stunningly awful, I really kind of love it.

add